You will need
- Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion peeled and chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Turkish pepper paste (or quarter tsp chilli flakes)
- 400g Passata
- 4 tbsp black or green olives, halved
- Pinch of Aleppo pepper (or a few chilli flakes)
- Pinch of dried Oregano
- Slice of Cartwright & Butler Honeycomb
- 10 Cartwright & Butler Hickory Smoked Almonds. chopped
- Fresh Oregano leaves (option)
Preheat the oven to 200 C/180 fan.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a medium saucepan.
Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook over a low/medium heat for 10 mins (don’t brown). Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the passata, add the sugar and a grind of black pepper, stir and simmer for 10 mins. Add the olives.
Place the halloumi between the handles of 2 wooden spoons. Cut across the cheese at 0.5 cm intervals. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle over the Aleppo pepper and oregano.
Spoon the tomato sauce into the base of a small ovenproof serving dish. Place the halloumi in the centre and bake for 20 mins. Finish off under a very hot grill to caramelise the top.
Place a slice of honeycomb on top of the halloumi and sprinkle over the chopped nuts. Serve straight away with plenty of crusty bread and a fresh green salad.